What is Juvederm?
Juvederm is the brand name for a collection of dermal fillers that are used to improve the signs of aging. These fillers contain hyaluronic acid and has a smooth, gel-like consistency. Each different filler is tailored to target specific signs of aging on the skin. Whether you want to add volume or smooth your skin, this line of fillers can help you achieve the results you’re looking for. Treatment is designed to address a variety of facial aging concerns, including wrinkles, fine lines, sagging or flat cheeks and thin lips.
Juvederm’s active ingredient, hyaluronic acid, occurs naturally in the body and stimulates the production of collagen, which plumps the skin. Your skin produces less collagen and hyaluronic acid as you get older, increasing the appearance of wrinkles and sagging skin. The filler is injected directly into your skin, replacing lost hyaluronic acid and improving facial volume and fullness. It also hydrates and smooths your skin, creating a more youthful look.
Types of Juvederm
There are several types of Juvederm fillers, and each is designed to target specific problems:
- Vollure XC is designed to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles around the mouth and nose, including smile lines. Results can last up to 18 months.
- Volbella XC is a great option if you’re looking to add subtle volume to your lips or smooth vertical lip lines. A common off-label use for this injectable is reducing the appearance of dark circles. Results can last up to a year.
- Voluma XC is used to add volume under the skin. It can restore lost volume to your cheeks, fill out hollows or flat patches, and lift and contour sagging skin. Results can last up to two years.
- Ultra XC is beneficial if you have naturally thin lips or if your lips have lost volume over time. Ultra XC can increase lip fullness, with results lasting up to one year.
- Ultra Plus XC is a popular option for adding fullness to your lips and smoothing facial lines and wrinkles, such as nasolabial folds and marionette lines around your mouth. It’s made of a thicker gel in comparison to Ultra XC, and results can last up to one year.
How is Juvederm Treatment Performed?
During treatment, your skin is prepared with an alcohol wipe. You might also receive a topical numbing anesthetic, but this isn’t always necessary since the filler contains lidocaine. Using a fine needle, your provider will then make a series of strategic injections, molding the filler with their fingers to ensure a natural result. Depending on the area being treated, the treatment session will likely last between 15 and 30 minutes. You’ll be able to resume most of your normal activities right away, but it’s usually recommended to avoid strenuous exercise for a few days after treatment.
What You Should Expect Following Treatment
After treatment, you’ll notice some immediate results. Wrinkles and fine lines are smoothed and eliminated, and your skin will have increased volume and elasticity. If the injections were performed on your lips, they’ll appear plumper and fuller, and you’ll notice a reduction in the appearance of fine lines around your mouth.
Although some results are noticeable right away, you’ll experience full results after about two weeks. This is how long it takes for any swelling or redness to dissipate. Depending on the type of filler you received, results can last from six months to two years. To maintain your more youthful look, you’ll need to receive follow-up treatments.
Does Juvederm Have Any Side Effects?
Minor swelling and bruising at the injection site are the most common side effects. You might also experience some skin redness or tenderness at the injection site. These effects are only temporary and will subside over time.
Serious side effects can occur if you receive treatment from a provider who isn’t a specially trained medical professional. That’s why it’s very important to choose your provider wisely. Our providers have the experience and training required to perform Juvederm® treatment safely, so you can feel confident in the care you’ll receive.